Sunday, February 15, 2015

Obedience Brings Blessings

Why is obedience so important?

We were studying about agency today during relief society and I had a very tender moment with the spirit. One of those times when he's teaching you something new and it has nothing to do with what the instructor is actually saying. The lesson was one of the standard regurgitation of Sunday school answers, and I have to admit that I occasionally become frustrated with these sort of discussions. I justify it because the gospel can go much deeper than we often allow it to, but I know that this is not right because it is by these simple things that we understand the mysteries of God. So as I recognized my pride at work I forced myself to pay attention so that I would be able to receive revelation. As she was talking she mentioned briefly obedience and my mind stuck onto it, experiences I've had and quotes started running through my head. I love it when this happens because it's that moment when you fit a puzzle peace in and then suddenly you are able to see the big picture of how everything relates.

Anyways enough about puzzles. I am so grateful for a Father that understands that we need to choose to be like Him. If you read my last post you will know that our opinions will never change the will of God, at least I could never get Him to budge, but instead as we pray our will becomes God's will. It is a beautiful process and I am thankful for my experiences with it, because they reassure me and help me understand on a different level why Satan's plan never would have worked. Our life is about becoming and being obedient to the laws of God prepare us to be like Him, a being who is completely obedient to the laws of heaven. I believe that it is not only His knowledge of the laws of heaven but His dedication to obedience to these laws that gives Him the power to create.

One of the quotes that I was referencing earlier was something my MTC teachers had told me while I was there. "Obedience brings blessings, and exact obedience brings miracles." I lived by that while on the mission, and it was also the cause of much frustration during the first 9 months. I remember many times feeling that because of how things were turning out that I was not being obedient enough and God was punishing me for it. It hasn't been until recently that I have recognized that the miracle was a change in heart. God works in mysterious ways and we shouldn't limit Him to what we think He should do. I know that what I think of as success is different than Fathers, because I can only see things short term. While Father can see into the eternities and allowing us to fall now can give us the strength and wisdom for something much more important in the future.


On a less serious note here's a fun video that features yours truly :) Valentines day may be my favorite holiday because everyone is celebrating my birthday by sending love notes to one another. What more can I ask for!?




1 comment:

  1. Change of heart ❤️💛💚💜
    Miracle

    ReplyDelete